I have a new recipe I would love to share with ya’ll! It is called a Greek Quinoa Salad and ohhh man is it good! I got this recipe from the foodservice kitchen that I work in as a dietetic technician. I believe they got this recipe from a website called Food Apparel. It has a great mixture of vegetables along with quinoa and a yummy homemade Greek dressing. I was inspired to make this meal one Saturday after I finished harvesting vegetables from a vegetable garden at Dell Children’s Medical Center in Austin, TX (I am doing an internship at Dell Children’s and help tend to their garden every week). One of the vegetables I harvested was a cucumber and that made me think about this Greek Quinoa Salad! Nevertheless, I made the meal, tried it, and now I am obsessed. It is also a perfect meal for meal prepping because it does not need to be heated up and it makes a whole lot! The ingredients in the meal are very good for you and are very heart healthy. Not to mention it is a great mix of grains, vegetables, healthy fats, and low fat dairy. Add some grilled chicken and you are all set with a well balanced meal! Here is the recipe! I encourage ya’ll to try it and let me what you think!
Greek Quinoa Salad
1/2 cups quinoa
3 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 small onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cucumber chopped
1/2 sliced black olives (I’m not a fan of olives so I didn’t add any)
1/2 cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese
1. Toast quinoa in a pot on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes.
2. Pour in vegetable broth and bring it to a boil.
3. Turn down heat, cover, and let it simmer for about 15-2o minutes.
4. In a small container, add olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, onion powder, oregano, and salt and pepper. Then shake the mixture well. This is your Greek dressing.
5. Place chopped tomatoes, cucumber, olives, feta cheese, pepper, and onion in the quinoa bowl.
6. Pour in the desired amount of dressing and toss with a spoon. (Be careful with how much you add to avoid having a watery meal).
7. You can either eat it immediately or store it in the fridge for later!